Monday, January 26, 2009

SAG Awards....I want more Glitz!!

The SAG awards aired last night. I caught up with the fashion from the evening and of course did my weighing in. I’ll start by stating the obvious. Where the hell was the glitz and glam? From a fashion stand point, I found myself wanting more -- more detailed necklines and silhouettes, more extreme embellishments or maybe extravagance, more jaw-dropping jewels and/or delicious shoes, just a little tiny bit MORE!

This year lacked a great deal of the much anticipated "wow" factor. I watch the Oscars, SAG Awards, Golden Globes, and Emmy’s, for one simple reason - THE FASHION! The red carpet entices my thirst to endure the painfully three-hour long award shows. Not last night! I yawned through the red carpet and with much disappointment, decided to end my sadness. I can’t tell you who won best picture, best actor, television comedy, or who had the weirdest drunken speech because I didn’t watch.

But hey, you don’t read this blog for my commentary on who deserved or didn’t deserve a SAG award. You read for the fashion! So, I’ll try not to disappoint and highlight a few fashionistas from the evening. The exciting aspect was seeing a couple unusual fashion standouts. From that standpoint-fashion always keeps me guessing, which always makes it worth it!

For starters, the shrinking Ann Hathaway was a fashion standout. She did First Lady Obama's white hot gown look - and did it well. She mirrored a Grecian goddess with the free-flowing dress and hair. I heart waisted embellishments.



Is anyone else talking about the new, “Skinny Ann”? If she keeps dropping lbs. like this she’s well on her way to a US Weekly cover. This summer cover story: "Skinny Ann at the beach in a kid’s size bathing suit showing nothing but rib bones." It’s Nicole Riche all over again. On the flip side, the weight loss has brought out a confident, sweet, and elegant Ann. Who would have thought? Apparently all Ann needed was a scam artist beau that she thought loved her to go a little anorexic on us! Good for her! Skinny Ann is landing movie after movie and stealing the show in all of them. She's gaining a reputation for having her name called in the same category as some of the best leading actresses. Quite a ways from The Princess Diaries.



Next up, Amy Adams gets a "Smile and Nod." She rocked a deep purple Giambattista Valli gown. It was simple. But the small things excite me, like the decorative bow and warm plum that played well against her skin.

Looks like Michelle Obama started something by opening 2009 with the one-shoulder gown. It’s a trend that was on the SAG Awards red carpet.






Kate Winslet
always looking magical gets a thumbs up for sporting electric blue. Purple and blue are 2009's basic black. I didn't fall in love with the fitted aspect, but the blue made me enjoy the choice. Subtle and sexy.














Mickey Rourke! I hate to say I love this -- but I do! I think it's because he took his personal identity and wore it proudly. Confidence always goes a long way. He screams I don't care and in case you don't believe him, he poses with his hand down his pants to prove it. Maroon belt and textured sport coat, it's a wonderful dirty dark ensemble.
Not all the glitz and glam I was expecting, but we still have the Oscars to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious!! Fashion and a good laugh, what more can you ask for!!

    ReplyDelete