Monday, June 22, 2009

Waisted, Boyfriended and Cropped. Oh My!



Has anyone noticed the resurgance of cardigans this 
summer '09? 
They emerged in Spring and are sticking around for June, making serious impressions on female summer wardrobes alike. But they aren't the cardigans I remember. 

When I was young I can recall making many 'a mad dashes for the front door in an effort to bypass my over protective mother before she would routinely stop me to assess my ensemble for not only appropriateness in nature (her and I never agreed on modesty) but appropriateness in unforeseen weather changes.  

"Your arms are exposed." "You need a jacket." "What if it gets chilly?"  "Go up and grab your cardigan."  

Always the same request in the same shrill tone.

Back then, adding a cardigan/jacket/bolero was a sure fire way to ruin any Saturday night ensemble. I was convinced that was my mother's sole motivation. 

But, cardigans are not what they used to be. 
They are hothip. and ultra stylish
It's a necessity for playing the lead role in, Not Trying To Be Stylish But Aware Of Style.  Starring yours truly, The Cardigan. 

They are THE spring/summer sexy accessory. 

And we all have the boyfriend cardigan to thank for it. 



Even the basic waist hitting cardigan paired with a skinny or boyfriend jean has style and sex appeal. 

As I sit and ponder the rebirth of this great piece of threads I loathed not less than twelve years ago, my mind can not help but wonder. Who brought it back?

A vision appears: a woman with a tall stature, kitten heels, knit skirt, J.Crew sequenced tank and wide waisted belt atop a colorful cardigan. Who is that I see?  
Mrs. Obama.  Has Mrs. O's signature look forced us all to channel our inner cardigan?  

Annie Leibovitz photographed America's first lady wearing her classic peach for the Vogue centerfold spread.



And it looks like Victoria Beckham took a page out of the cropped cardigan handbook. 




Whether it was Beckham or Obama who started the trend, I'm equally excited about the come back.  Who would have thought I would have near the thrill of requesting my husband stop the car so I can run inside to grab a staple piece. my cardigan

 The saying Momma Knows Best rings steadily in my ear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment